[ModLib] Joyce, Dubliners "defintive text" 1969

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Sun Feb 13 18:40:02 EST 2011

Thanks very much to all who responded. Your information is VERY helpful -- and timely, since I want to submit my bibliography entries for titles first published in 1925 and 1926 tomorrow. Based on Darrell's information I'm inclined to suspect that the smaller format appeared *after* the taller. If so, it's the only example I'm aware of. I have a copy of the 7-1/2" format, and the jacket is identical to Darrell's EXCEPT mine doesn't have the ISBN. I believe ISBNs were introduced in 1972. The copy that Alan Oestreich used to have lacked a jacket but was bound in coarse black cloth that was used on some of the last  printings before ML titles were discontinued in the  1970s. I have no idea why this late or last printiung  would have  reverted to the smaller format, but RH wasn't paying much attention to the Modern Library at that period.

Thanks again.