[ModLib] Joyce, Dubliners "defintive text" 1969

Darrell Johnson zebradlj at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 13 16:09:39 EST 2011

Scott,

If I were to merely guess, then since they were beginning to introdue the taller format that year, I suspect the regular size came first.

But since we don't want to merely guess, here is a fuller description of my book and jacket:

Book: Toledano style 13; the front free end paper facing the front paste-down has a very large reddish-puple "H" stamped on it, suggesting it is a remainder;  the half-title page offers to send the illustrated list if requested; on the reverse of the title page the paragraph under the FMLE statement includes the library of congress # 25-23228; the text ends on 224 and there is a single, blank free end-paper (i.e., nothing follows the text0.

Jacket: $2.95 price on the front flap (no indications of ever being tagged over); "ML124" directly under the price; the inside of the jacket is, of course, blank; the back cover has "Classics of Literature" and lists G58, G15, G36, G3, G1, G23, 186, 130, 110, 185, 28, 177, 40, 244, G97; G73, 388; 318, 119,261, 100, 21, 125, and REMEMBERANCE OF THINGS PAAST (7volumes), in that order; at the bottom the Box 41 ... address for requesting a catalogue is offered; and in the lower right corner 394-60124-6 (the ISBN).

Since G73: THE COLLECTED TALES & PLAYS OF NIKOLAI GOGOL, is a 1969 title it might give a clue to precedence if the taller format copy has a slightly different list under this heading.

Drrell