[ModLib] Modern Library Willy Pogany Art Nouveau Jacket

dchock7 at aol.com dchock7 at aol.com
Sat Dec 17 21:07:40 EST 2011

Great info, thanks.
Pete

-----Original Message-----
From: TheBookScene.com <bookscene at gmail.com>
To: modlib <modlib at thuban.owu.edu>
Sent: Sat, Dec 17, 2011 7:45 pm
Subject: [ModLib] Modern Library Willy Pogany Art Nouveau Jacket

Since there is a lot of talk about early jackets, here is some info about the 1917 'generic' jacket.

Jacket was designed by famed book illustrator Willy Pogany. Jacket lettering is in an Art Nouveau script font ('Modern Library' and 'Limp Croft Leather'). Field is dark brown decorated with fanciful green and yellow snowflake designs, similar to a wrapping paper. Designer's name appears in miniature print on front and rear jacket panel. Jacket flaps have a numbered Boni & Liveright C3 catalog list of Sept. 1917, also including the 'ghost title' 29.0 W.H. Wright 'Best French Epigrams'. Jacket is generic with no book title, therefor could be applied on any book in the catalog. Since jacket was produced with Sept. 1917 C3 catalog, it was perhaps used for holiday gift books, being more festive than the regular scholarly style jackets.

William 'Willy' A. Pogany, born in Szeged, Hungary, in 1882, studied at Budapest Technical University and in Munich and Paris. His reputation as a muralist, painter and illustrator was well established in Paris, London and Munich before arriving in the United States in 1915, at the age of thirty-three. Skilled in an unusually wide range of media, he had won gold medals at exhibitions in Budapest, Leipzig, and at the Panama Pacific International Exhibition. Willy Pogany: 'I worked very hard in America, and have done, besides illustrating books, all sorts of pictures, mural paintings, portraits, etchings, sculpture, and built hotels and swimming pools. I also became very interested in the theatre and designed lots of stage settings and costumes for different shows and the Metropolitan Opera House. Later I came to Hollywood where I am designing the sets for movies, which I find very interesting indeed.'

Neal

TheBookScene.com