[ModLib] Victory Declared in Darrell Johnson Project

Scot Kamins kamins at modernlib.com
Mon Aug 15 23:30:08 EDT 2011

On Aug 15, 2011, at 5:18 PM, Eric Hanson wrote:

> In light of your statement that you do have lots of time, how about
> expanding the site to cover the Modern Library issues after 1975 -
> at least the hardcover editions.

Thanks for the suggestion -- but no;. Here's why (from the FAQ):

Why doesn't ModernLib cover Post-1970 Modern Library material?

The Modern Library published new titles continuously from 1917 through
1970. The books had sewn blocks, every title was numbered, and they
were amazingly inexpensive. And the dust jackets were pretty amazing.
The series really lived up to its original intention of providing a
fine library of well-made books that anybody could afford.

But starting in 1977 when the series was relaunched, the blocks were
perfect bound (that is, glued), the books no longer were numbered, and
titles were priced more in line with competitors and no longer were
the bargain they used to be. And the dust jackets weren't nearly as
attractive.

Thus the quality went down, the price went up, and the charm went out—
along with the interest of the Webmaster.

There's an opportunity for somebody to start another Website dealing
with post-1970 issues. I'm sure there are collectors who would support
such a venture!

Maybe not.

Nothing to do, nowhere to go, no-one to be...