[ModLib] Mylar question

Bluebird Books books at bluebirdbooks.com
Wed Apr 27 21:14:58 EDT 2011

Chuck,

After experimenting, I've settled on using Brodart's Econo-Fold 1.5 mil
super clear covers. I buy the 10-622-601, which is a roll, sized to
handle up to 9" covers. These work for me because they are crystal-clear
and when using a bone folder can be creased easily, allowing a view of
the verso of the dust jacket. Brodart says they're made of polyester,
but I describe them as 'mylar'.

best,
Eric Mayer

On 4/27/2011 6:50 PM, Graham, Charles wrote:
> Hi,
> I am fairly new to the list serve, and have been enjoying the
> discussions about bindings, dust jackets, etc.  I also enjoyed Roger's
> in-depth coverage of ISBN numbers and the color printing process.
> Roger, maybe you can talk about blind stamping on the bindings next.
> It all started at the now closed Odyssey Bookshop in Novato, CA.
> Something drew me to a particular edition of /Faust /by Goethe.  It
> stood out from the other three or so editions of the same name.  It
> turned out to be published by the Modern Library (red dust jacket,
> 1960s).  I was impressed by the quality of the book.  There was also a
> certain quaintness I still can not put my finger on.   I bought other
> Modern Library books as they turned up at Odyssey, and it just kind of
> snowballed.  My collection is small, so have not been able to
> contribute to the 10 minute challenges of late.
> Now for the question.  I do have a number of titles that need Mylar,
> and wonder what the real collectors prefer.  Does one use
> polypropylene, polyester, or specifically Mylar?  A search for Mylar
> will return all three.  What thickness is preferable- 1.5, 2, or 2.5
> mil?  Is paperbacking better to protect the dust jackets?  I have
> checked Demco, Brodart, and Gaylord, but am not sure what to get.  Any
> advice would be much appreciated.
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Chuck Graham
> Mail Services Coordinator
> Dominican University of California

We feature high quality hard-to-find, used, and out of print books.

Bluebird Books
Littleton, Colorado U.S.A.
Telephone: (303) 912-4559
E-Mail:  books at bluebirdbooks.com
Website: www.bluebirdbooks.com
Proud member of IOBA (the Independent Online Booksellers Association) and RMABA (the Rocky Mountain Booksellers Association)
"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/BluebirdBooks