[ModLib] Fading on _Medieval Romance_ (may be a resend--had a computer glitch)

Roger Lathbury lathbury at gmu.edu
Sun Apr 17 14:47:18 EDT 2011

Dear Ron:

I don't see the mystery. The $1.65 _Medieval Romances_ has an older jacket (natch) whose spine has been exposed to the sun. The $1.95 jacket, without the two names on the spine, has not been so exposed. They're the same jacket, basically, treated differently. Of course one is a later printing with an editorial change.

The yellow layer of ink is laid down first in printing. It doesn't fade as readily as the red, perhaps, because it has less white component diluting the ink It lies beneath the red layer, like layers of emulsion on old slide film. The yellow layer in the $1.65 jacket has been protected by the red layer, which, in this older jacket has faded away. You can also see this in the lower half where the magenta has lightened as have some of the other colors, leaving that light army grey green half at the bottom.

I'm sure. No jacket designer in his right mind would reverse a title out of yellow. Such lettering would not be visible enough when books are put on the shelf next to other ones as Modern Library Books were.

Moreover, these books are printed in quantity and are machine wrapped. To position a distinct but abutting color on the spine for a folding and wrapping machine to align would be to ask more of machinery, especially in the years of the $1.65 Modern Library, than it reasonably can do. Look at the precision of the fading. Wrapping machines do good work, but they can't wrap that precisely.

This is a three color jacket: magenta, yellow (looks to me brighter than process yellow, but I can't be sure), plus a third gold or gold-seeming color used in combination with the red on the bottom half of the jacket to achieve a fourth color.
I suspect it's not a metallic color because they are expensive and because they don't blend well with process colors.

Does this tell you what you want to know?

Best,

Roger