[ModLib] Medieval Romances (133.2)

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Sat Apr 16 11:30:16 EDT 2011

I think it's fading.  Color printing (as far as I understand it)  is generally based on combinations of yellow, red, blue and black inks, with each printed in succession. The reddish upper panel clearly has a lot of yellow in it. The spine of my 379 jacket has faded to a yellowish pink. I can imagine how the red (which is particularly susceptible to fading) might have faded away altogether  if it had been subjected to intense  sunlight over a long period of time.   It can't be a case of not pr inti ng in red since the upper panel on both sides of the spine, which haven't been subjected to direct sunlight, are largely unfaded.

I'm grateful for this discussion since I had never noticed the differences between the two jackets, even though I own copies of both of them! In my own defense, the later copy (mine is a fall 1962 printing which I bought new when I was in college) was a general reading copy, not one I acquired in connection with my ML research. It has now been relocated to my main ML collection, and the bibliography entry has been updated  accordingly. T he later title page also omits Mrs. Loomis's Columbia affiliation .