[ModLib] Re: Jacket back "styles" and "variations."

Scot Kamins kamins at modernlib.com
Fri Apr 15 19:24:01 EDT 2011

On Apr 15, 2011, at 3:55 PM, Darrell Johnson wrote:

> Actually, what i was thinking about as I wrote this was a time when
> I was trying to discern the diffrerences between a couple of jackets
> from the early leatherettes.  For all the ML's I own I don't have a
> single jacketed letherette.  So I couldn't go check any of mine.  I
> simply stared at the two scans trying to tell if perhaps there was
> some unreadable difference in the blurb that was printed on the
> front of the jacket.  I finally gave up.  It didn't matter that much
> because I wasn't trying to identify a jacket as one or the other.
> but it it was clear that if had been trying, the scans would not
> have been any help.  They needed text with them to state the
> unseeable differences in the small print on the jacket cover.

Yes, this is sad but true.

Way back when ModernLib (neé Dogeared) was new -- 15 years ago --
bandwidth was VERY expensive. The more hits a website got, the more it
cost per month. If you had a lot of images, which are pixel-dense,
your costs as a website owner could really go up fast. So I made the
decision to use small images -- 3.5" tall/72 dpi was the standard I
settled on. I didn't keep the original images (and thus I can't
replace the ones already there) because I didn't have a hard disk big
enough to accommodate them -- hard disks weren't all that big back then!

Over time, costs went down. So I began to use larger images for
selected special articles, but kept the bulk of the images -- all of
the ones on Author pages -- to the old standard.

Now, bandwidth is cheap, and for a couple hundred bucks or less you
can get a disk drive that holds terrabytes of information.

If I were to start ModernLib today, I would have full-size images of
everything. And all that tiny text on DJ fronts from the teens &
twenties would be readable.

So there you have it -- my claim to being a victim of technological
economic history.

But your point is well-taken: A new project will be to go through the
author pages and add text below each of those subtle-difference images
explaining the differences.

Thanks for pointing it out -- really!

We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. -- Siddhartha
Gautama