[ModLib] Re: Jacket back "styles" and "variations."

Darrell Johnson zebradlj at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 15 17:22:07 EDT 2011

Scott and Ron,

I looked at your recently produced
Genre Dust Jacket Backs of the Late Classical Period
1967 - 1975 (or so)
 web page.  I am confused.  The only difference I detect in your scans of the n and o jacket backs is that n still includes the "457 Madison Avenue" information in lower left corner while o has dropped it.  But in your list of 5 variations the presence or absence of "457 Madison Avenue" marks a distinction in the variations you list.  And then you have a table that cross references "style" with "variation."  And you show confirmed sighting of style n in variants 2, 3, 4 and 5.  Syle n has "Madison Ave"  variants 2, 3, 4 and 5 don't.  So these seem to be contradictions.

What am I missing.  There must be something else about the scans of n and o at the top of the page that marks their difference; but what is it?

Okay!  I just realized that its the height difference in the Toledano 14 bindings for o.

But, this leads me to a more general point.  There are numerous locations in the web site where there are series of scans that intend to show distinctions in either bindings, covers, or backs.  This isn't the first time I've studied scans and haven't been able to detect any difference even though the difference is the whole point of the scan.

SOLUTION:  Any such series of scans should have text with it that explicity states the diffrence from one scaan in the series to the next scan.

Thoughts?

Darrell

P.S.  I'm about to look through my books to look for the missing combinations.  You state, based on what you've done, that

With the single exception of 160.3 Auden's Selected Poetry (Second Edition), any jacket with an ISBN is not a first. So if you have a book with a genre variety 3, 4, or 5 DJ, it's not a first.
All other first edition titles published with type 14 bindings likely had o2 dust jackets.
All non-giant titles born Fall 1967 through Spring 1968 likely had n1 dust jackets.
All giant titles born Fall 1967 through Spring 1968 likely had Gj1 jackets.

I would like to know a bit about the reasons for each of these so while I'm looking for the missing combinations I might check on these issues at the same time.

Darrell