[ModLib] Proposed New Tole Number for Human Nature And Conduct with intro: 271.2

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Wed Apr 13 14:00:52 EDT 2011

In bibliographical terms there are two states of the first printing.

The first state omits pp. 1-13 (Dewey's Introduction to the book) apparently because someone thought that Dewey's new foreword to the Modern Library edition rendered it redundant -- despite the fact that it was paginated in arabic numerals and therefore was clearly part of the text.

When the error was discovered, the ML gathered up all unsold copies and cut out the leaf containing p. vii and (on its verso) p. 14 of the text. It printed a replacement gathering of 8 leaves (16 pages) consisting of p. vii with the verso of the leaf blank, Dewey's Introduction (pp. 1-13), and p. 14 (the first page of Part One). The sewn gathering was pasted to the stub of the leaf that had been removed.

The second state of the first printing retains the First statement on the verso of the title page. Both are in the 5 binding.

Subsequent printings print the text correctly. I believe all of them omit the First statement. There was a second printing of 2,000 copies in December 1930, but I've never examined a copy of this printing.

It might be better to number the states of the first printing 171.1a and 171.1b and subsequent printings 171.2.