[ModLib] Letterpress and Offset in Modern Library Texts and Jackets

robert e. watling jr. rewatlingjr at comcast.net
Sun Apr 10 20:16:45 EDT 2011

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 10:17:22 -0700, Roger Lathbury <lathbury at gmu.edu>
wrote:

> I note that the trend toward printing the books is from letterpress (hot
> type, with raised and incuse areas on the plates) to offset (cold type,
> planographic):

Roger,
Thank you for this exposition. I'm not a printer or in any way involved
with the manufacture of books but I found this and your earlier post about
the technical aspects of producing books to be fascinating. Having a
modest collection of ML's and other books on my shelves it has been
interesting to me to know how they got there. I took a brief look at your
company's website and will look deeper but I am grateful to you for this
information...Robert Watling Jr.
--
"Sometimes, life is very simple, but it is we two-leggeds,
  we who are thought to be smart that make it complicated."

-- Larry P. Aitkin, CHIPPEWA