[ModLib] Way To Use Specific DJ Style Variations to Identify Late Classical Period First DJs

Scot Kamins kamins at modernlib.com
Sun Apr 10 10:51:59 EDT 2011

Folks,

As most of us know, dating dust jackets printed after the spring of
1963 can be a pain. Before that, the ML's current catalog appeared on
the inverse of dust jackets; using the list and the legend "WHICH OF
THESE [nnn] OUTSTANDING TITLES DO YOU WANT TO READ?", we could compare
it to Barry Neavill's dating key and come up with a proper date.  But
after that, the inverses went blank and we were left clueless. Ron
Holl and I think we have discovered a partial solution to the problem
–- at least for many titles published from 1967 on.

Examining just over a hundred dust jackets in styles n, o, Gi, and Gj,
we discovered five specific subtypes and have a pretty solid theory
about the specific dates of a couple of them.  Using those subtypes
and other data that we collected on each of dust jackets in our
sample, we've discovered a reliable new way to tell whether many dust
jackets are correctly married to first edition books.

For example, we know which of the five subtypes  defines  all giant
and non-giant first edition dust jackets for titles published Fall
1967 through Spring 1968, and which subtype defines first edition dust
jackets covering first edition books with type 14 bindings (Spring
1969 and beyond).

The new page which is fetchingly entitled Genre Dust Jacket Backs of
the Late Classical Period 1967 - 1975 (or so)  is here:

http://www.modernlib.com/Identifiers/genreDjBacks/genreDjBacks.html

Any questions? Comments? Suggestions for change? Challenges? Additions?

Scot Kamins (for Scot & Ron)
We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. -- Siddhartha
Gautama