[ModLib] FW: A SHORT HISTORY OF THE US, ML 235.1 FIRST PRINTING IN TWO VERSIONS?

John Wolansky jwol at fast.net
Wed May 5 17:57:00 EDT 2010

I found a copy of 235.1 this weekend, stated first with 304 titles on the
DJ.  When I compared to my "old" first which was so stated but issued with a
jacket with 306 titles, I noted a difference on the copyright page.  In my
"old" copy, after the statement "FIRST Modern Library EDITION 1945" is
another statement:

The Modern Library edition of A Short History of the
United States was originally published by Little, Brown
& Company under the title America: The Story of a
Free People.  It contains, in addition, a special section,
Pages 493 to 511, which brings the history up to the
presidential campaign of 1944.

In addition, I have another copy with the First statement and additional
blurb with a dj referring to 316 titles.

Do all subsequent printings of 235.1 include the first statement with the
additional blurb?  Does anyone have a copy of 235.1 (511 pages plus an
index) that does not have the first statement?  How many titles referred to
on the dj inverse?

John