[ModLib] Federalist First printing 2nd state?

Gordon B. Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sun Mar 21 12:31:59 EDT 2010

Does anyone have a 1941 first printing of The Federalist (139) with an acknowledgment to National Home Library on the verso of the title page? The ML originally published The Federalist with an acknowledgment to The Carnegie Corporation of New York on the verso. All subsequent printings replaced that acknowledgment with the following: "The publishers are indebted to the National Home Library Foundation for making this edition possible and wish to thank them for the courtesy extended in the use of their plates."

Shortly after publication of the ML edition Sherman Mitchell of the National Home Library Foundation informed Klopfer that the ML should have thanked the Foundation and that the acknowledgment to the Carnegie Corporation would have to be removed. Klopfer agreed to rip the title leaf out of every copy in stock and tip in a corrected leaf with the acknowledgment to the National Home Library Foundation quoted above.

I'm not certain if this was done. If it was I don't know if the statement FIRST MODERN LIBRARY PRINTING | 1941 was retained. The original title leaf would have been cut out and a newly printed leaf with the correct acknowledgment would have been pasted onto the stub of the original leaf, creating a second state of the first edition. The second state would have the original spring 1941 ML list at the end of the volume (including Hugo, Hunchback of Notre Dame but not Bemelmans, My War with the United States), and the original spring 1941 jacket with 271 titles (including Hugo but not Bemelmans) would probably have been retained.

I think I saw a copy of this years ago in Dave Menkin's collection but I don't have complete notes. If anyone has a copy of the the second state of the first printing I'd be grateful to have a scan or photocopy of the verso of the title page. I'm submitting the ML bibliography to the University of Virginia for online publication by the end of the summer and hope to have resolved all open questions like this by then.

Thanks,
Gordon B. Neavill
Associate Professor
Wayne State University