[ModLib] Plates and Paper

pecksgrove at aol.com pecksgrove at aol.com
Fri Mar 5 09:54:26 EST 2010

now this is interesting

-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Lathbury <lathbury at gmu.edu>
To: aa3401 at wayne.edu; For collectors of Modern Library books <modlib at thuban.owu.edu>
Sent: Thu, Feb 25, 2010 1:01 pm
Subject: [ModLib] Plates and Paper

In line with Barry's remarks about printing plates in _Theory of the Leisure
lass,__ I thought it might interest this group--whose posts I read regularly
ut who are more expert about many details than I ever will be--that many Modern
ibrary titles are printed from plates from the first or early printings and can
ave bibliographical interest.
I teach English, among other activities, and sometimes use Modern Library texts
o teach from. They provide a base text that I can annotate for bibliographical
nd scholarly reasons. I guess I commit the sin of writing in the books. One
ives only once, though, and I am more of a reader than a collector.
The most remarkable such Modern Library edition I have is what looks to me to be
 1984 or so Modern Library edition of _Sister Carrie_ printed letterpress from
he much battered 1900 plates used for the first Doubleday edition. The very
ear and distortions seem proof of the enduring qualities of _Sister Carrie._
ome pages have been reset, and the original first edition has a passage that
reiser plagiarized and was consequently changed in the second (B. Dodge 1907)
rinting, but it's pleasant to work from this hard-to-read but vintage setting
f the novel. It's fun to compare these pages with a mid 1920's Boni and
iveright _Sister Carrie,_ to trace the wear on the plates. Dreiser, as you may
now, bought them from Doubleday. He owned them for most all of his life.
_Winesburg, Ohio_ and _The Catcher in the Rye_ and _The Great Gatsby_ and _The
un Also Rises_ and _A Farewell to Arms_ and _The Naked and the Dead_ plus a
ost other titles use original plates and are all printed letterpress (I think
The Naked and the Dead_ is offset--and done from a later 1948 Rinehart printing
s p. 33 has been reset).
Offset printing requires a harder surface sheet and is harder to make notes on
han letterpress paper. It seems less authentic to me, in some way. (Running my
wn small press, I notice these details).

oger Lathbury