[ModLib] Joe Gould's Secret

JOHN PETERSON jpetersonlhi at verizon.net
Wed Jun 30 22:20:49 EDT 2010

Well, now that I look more closely, my movie tie-in copy is copyright 2000, not 1996.  I also have the first printing with the frontispiece portrait on glossy paper exactly as you described it.  However, the third copy, with "The Commemorative Edition" along the top border of the DJ front, appears to be transitional:  It is copyright 1996, has the same ISBN number as the first printing, has the frontispiece portrait on glossy paper, uses the same DJ photo as the first printing, cropped and formatted differently, BUT also contains the Maxwell Intro.  The info on the verso of the TP is slightly different than the earlier and later printings: mentioning the Maxwell intro and also has Mitchell's death date (1996) added to his biographical information. (I suppose Mitchell's life/death is what is being commemorated--Maxwell's intro reads as much like a eulogy of Mitchell as an Intro to Joe Gould)  The 2 1/2 page bio of Mitchell before the intro is the same as the movie tie-in, adding a line at the end to mention Mitchell's death on May 24, 1996.

John Peterson