[ModLib] Joe Gould's Secret

Darrell Johnson zebradlj at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 30 12:02:56 EDT 2010

Joseph

I haven't heard therms first state and second state before.

I debated what I was going to do with these sorts of changes in my database when I built it.  I decided that since the ML # along with the Toledano # always functioned as a "KEY" for an edition, and all of the newer book have ISBN's as the only candidate for a "KEY" number, that when ML changes an ISBN I have no choice (in the database) but to treat it as a new "edition" with a seperate entry.

So although on "comment lines" within my database I might adopt mention of first state, second state, from a database design standpoint I will have to keep treating them as seperate editions.

[I had to do the same with Modern Library Chronicles hardbacks and paperbacks.  I would have liked to treat them as the same editions in different formats  {e.g. many ML regular titles went from leatherette, to balloon cloth to hard back (different formats) without ever changing editions}. But the Chronicle hardback and paperbacks have different ISBN's. So they had to go in as different editions.]

Darrell