[ModLib] Joe Gould's Secret

Gordon B. Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Wed Jun 30 09:12:45 EDT 2010

I have the 1996 first printing of Joe Gould's Secret and the 2000 printing with the movie tie-in jacket (my copy with the tie-in jacket states 2000 Modern Library Edition, though it's possible that copies of the earlier printing could have been sold in the later jacket. The later printing is different in a number of respects. In the first printing the frontispiece portrait is on glossy paper and is tipped in; in the later it's printed on the same paper as the text. The information on the verso of the title page is different, and the table of contents is revised to include the Maxwell introduction. There are different ISBNs -- the international numbering system that uniquely identifies different editions of different books. The line of numbers at the foot of the page, as John notes, are identical -- but these simply identify the printing. The "1" at the right is supposed to identify the first printing; the "2" at the left the second printing; and so forth. If the printer remembers to do it, the "1" is supposed to be whited out or removed for the second printing, the "2" is supposed to be removed for the third printing, etc.