[ModLib] DISCONTINUED STAMP

JOHN PETERSON jpetersonlhi at verizon.net
Sun Jun 27 16:26:07 EDT 2010

I have nine ML titles that have a Macy's stamp on the inside--all but two are binding #5:
109.1 Sons and Lovers, 134.1 Ordeal of RF, 023.1 Swinburne, 132.1 Story of an African Farm, 014.1 Diana of Crossways, 026.1 Mikado, 081.1 Modern Book of Criticism.  The two others are binding #7: 212.1 Eminent Victorians and 108.2, Great German Short Novels.  I suspect there are several more that I forgot to note in my database.

Satterfield's book "The World's Best Books" begins with the story of a ML price war between Macy's and Gimbles in 1930, and offers one reason for the stamps: "....both stores stamped their books to deter area booksellers from aquiring stock at a price far less than the publisher's discount."

Anyone have books with a Gimble's stamp?

John Peterson