[ModLib] DISCONTINUED STAMP

Scot Kamins kamins at modernlib.com
Sun Jun 27 14:12:41 EDT 2010

On Jun 27, 2010, at 11:01 AM, JOSEPH HILL wrote:

> In all of my years collecting ML the only title I have ever owned or
> seen is the Gatsby with the discontinued stamp.
> I am sure other collectors of the series must own other titles with
> the Macy's stamp...yes,no?

Wait a minute. I thought the Discontinued stamp was put on by Modern
Library at the factory. From ModernLib website, Gatsby notes:

"While every book has the first edition slug, not every copy has the
first edition dust jacket. There was a second printing in fall 1939
(268 titles) created especially to cover all unsold stock. All these
jackets were hand-stamped "Discontinued Title.” (Click here to see
some samples.) None of the first printing jackets were stamped." http://www.modernlib.com/authors/support/notes/notesFitzgeraldGatsby.html

Macy had its own "sale" stamp, but isn't that different from the
"discontinued" stamp?

Practice Kindness