[ModLib] Buckram Modern Library Ediitons

Brian LeMasters brianlemasters at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 22:52:24 EDT 2010

Hello Roger,
I have no experience in the publishing of books, but I am a close
observer of these buckrams, as I have a few myself.
Does the attached image convey the difference in buckram cloth grade
which you asked about?  Close weave, coarser weave?
In my attempt to catalog these on my own, I have been naming their color
as shades of blue... don't laugh!  Maybe grade of buckram is a better idea?
In the beginning, I only noticed one or two of these irregularities.
Now I have found a half dozen - blue and brown.  Red, green, black,
burgundy, gray and mustard are consistent.
The "close weave" or "light blue" example dates to Spring 1967.  The
other example in the picture is undated (which I have found to be a
large percentage of buckrams) due to lack of catalog in the rear of the
text.  I have noticed the same difference in buckram cloth on Giants as
well.

As far as I can tell, the end paper construction is the same on all of
the ML Buckrams.  See the website for the detailed picture.  (
http://www.modernlib.com/Identifiers/buckram.html  )
I have seen the regular and giants of the Modern Library in the late
'60s use a covering resembling buckram but without the required cloth
reinforced strip on the hinges.

I have buckrams with little text, big text, narrow or wide margins,
barely legible type or crisp lettering.  Just last week I found my first
buckram where the paper quality was compromised.  Some of the late 60's
MLs are toned or have browned paper throughout.  The buckram that I
found had mixed high quality/low quality paper in the different
signatures (but again, no date).  Distracting more than irritating.

Brian