[ModLib] Abridgements

JOHN PETERSON jpetersonlhi at verizon.net
Mon Jun 7 20:52:17 EDT 2010

And they weren't unthinkable for long.

Boswell's Life of Johnson (G2), one of the works that it was "unthinkable" to abridge in 1931, 21 years later was abridged by ML (282.1), going from almost 1200 pages to about half that.   My theory is that in the 50's more people began to read in bed, and sleeping with a Giant is not an enjoyable endeavor.

John Peterson