[ModLib] War and Peace

JOHN PETERSON jpetersonlhi at verizon.net
Mon Jun 7 07:22:20 EDT 2010

Thanks Barry and Eric.  Interesting!

John Peterson
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Gordon B. Neavill
  To: For collectors of Modern Library books
  Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2010 11:56 PM
  Subject: Re: [ModLib] War and Peace

  This typo is found in first printings of all three Giants published in fall 1931 -- War and Peace, Boswell's Life of Samuel Johnson, and Hugo's Hunchback of Notre Dame. Giants published in spring 1932 correct the note to "An abridged edition was unthinkable."  In fact, an abridged edition wasn't unthinkable: four years before the first Giants were published Cerf had commissioned Herbert Askwith to prepare an abridgment of Boswell's Life of Samuel Johnson for the regular Modern Library. He canceled the project when Askwith missed the deadline for submitting the manuscript. Askwith eventually completed the abridgment, but it was never published. The only part of the project that saw the light of day was Asquith's preface, which was used in the 1931 Giant.