[ModLib] War and Peace

Gordon B. Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sun Jun 6 23:56:34 EDT 2010

This typo is found in first printings of all three Giants published in fall 1931 -- War and Peace, Boswell's Life of Samuel Johnson, and Hugo's Hunchback of Notre Dame. Giants published in spring 1932 correct the note to "An abridged edition was unthinkable." In fact, an abridged edition wasn't unthinkable: four years before the first Giants were published Cerf had commissioned Herbert Askwith to prepare an abridgment of Boswell's Life of Samuel Johnson for the regular Modern Library. He canceled the project when Askwith missed the deadline for submitting the manuscript. Askwith eventually completed the abridgment, but it was never published. The only part of the project that saw the light of day was Asquith's preface, which was used in the 1931 Giant.