[ModLib] War and Peace

Bluebird Books books at bluebirdbooks.com
Sun Jun 6 21:52:15 EDT 2010

John,

To me, that sounds like a typo to be sure. I looked at an
undistinguished later printing that I have and there's no mention on
pub's page of abridgements. (And it reminds me of ML's version of "The
Hunchback of Notre Dame" which at 416 pages seems abridged to me but is
labeled as Complete and Unabridged. Could that also be a typo?)

best,
Eric Mayer

On 6/6/2010 5:38 PM, JOHN PETERSON wrote:
> I just picked up a FMLE War & Peace, the first G1 binding I've found
> (and could afford).
> In looking it over, I'm wondering if there's not an error in the
> publisher's note which is printed on the verso of the title page.
> This note, which explains the rationale for the Giant format, states:
> "...The text was much too long for the usual Modern Library format.
> An unabridged [sic] edition was unthinkable, and a two volume edition
> was entirely against the Modern Library's policy."  To me, /'abridged'
> /would make more sense in the context of explaining why the regular
> size ML was no good for this title.  Or, am I missing something?  Is
> not the ML War and Peace unabridged?
> John Peterson

We feature high quality hard-to-find, used, and out of print books. Our specialty: 19th&  20th Century classic fiction and literature.

Bluebird Books
8201 South Santa Fe Drive #245
Littleton, CO 80120 U.S.A.
Telephone: (303) 912-4559
E-Mail:  books at bluebirdbooks.com
Website: www.bluebirdbooks.com
Proud member of IOBA--The books you want...from booksellers you can trust.