[ModLib] War and Peace

JOHN PETERSON jpetersonlhi at verizon.net
Sun Jun 6 19:38:04 EDT 2010

I just picked up a FMLE War & Peace, the first G1 binding I've found (and could afford).

In looking it over, I'm wondering if there's not an error in the publisher's note which is printed on the verso of the title page.  This note, which explains the rationale for the Giant format, states: "...The text was much too long for the usual Modern Library format.  An unabridged [sic] edition was unthinkable, and a two volume edition was entirely against the Modern Library's policy."  To me, 'abridged' would make more sense in the context of explaining why the regular size ML was no good for this title.  Or, am I missing something?  Is not the ML War and Peace unabridged?

John Peterson