[ModLib] HELP ON DETERMINING FIRST PRINTING FOR SMOKE, PLEASE

Gordon B. Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Thu Jul 8 21:30:50 EDT 2010

John,

The first seven ML titles published in spring 1920, including Smoke, were originally scheduled for fall 1919 and have 1919 copyright dates. Their production, along with that of many other publications, was delayed by a printers' strike in New York City.

My copy has a publisher's note facing p. 234 indicating that the list of ML titles includes those published during fall 1919 (the ones that ended up being postponed until spring 1920). The first page of the catalog ends with Chesterton's Man Who Was Thursday and third page of the catalog includes Latzko's Men in War, which was the last title published in 1920.

I can't always be certain with B&L titles, but it looks to me as if we both have first printings. I too wish I had it in a jacket, but at least I've seen the jacket in Henry Toledano's collection and been able to describe it in the bibliography. I don't know who has it now!