[ModLib] QUESTION REGARDING 1ST STATE DJ FOR 146.1, ONEIL'S EMPORER JONES

Gordon B. Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Mon Dec 6 10:35:05 EST 2010

O'Neill's Emperor Jones and The Straw was a spring 1928 title and has a spring 1928 list at the end of the volume. The first jacket (Henry's Dj3) has a spring 1928 list (includes Dumas, Three Musketeers but not Apuleius, Golden Ass). The back panel makes no reference to 150 (or any other number) titles.  I believe the reference to 150 titles on the back panel began in fall 1928.

The second printing of the book, with a fall 1928 list at the end of the volume (includes Apuleius but not Dostoyevsky, Brothers Karamazov), retains the "First Modern Library Edition 1928" statement on the verso of the title page.

My own copy is the second printing of the book with a first printing jacket.