[ModLib] Random House Vintage Books with ML style buckram bindings

Brian LeMasters brianlemasters at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 19:40:35 EDT 2010

Hi Eric,
I have only been able to glean info from obtaining these Vintage
editions.  I have 39 volumes, 34 unique, I think.  I have noted a
parallel in the binding style as well - I have Vintage bindings
identical to the  B1 and B2.  The combinations of spine
contrast/topstain/endpapers are similar in variety to the ML Buckrams.
I also have a single Vintage in the Giant format (I think there is still
another copy on ABE).  Most of my copies were not ex-library, although
my V-135 is.  I have scanned the back of the text catalogs and entered
them into a spreadsheet, if you want it.  If the "First Vintage Edition"
statement is on the copyright page, then you have the printing date.
Otherwise, I have not been able to determine a scheme of dating these
volumes.

There is overlap in the Vintage and Modern Library:  Great Modern Short
Stories (ML-168, V-127).  I only have the Vintage buckram edition, though.

My impression of the Vintage editions are that they are more inclined to
social topics and current-day reading.

I know there is at least one other collector of these Vintage editions
out there who will have some great input.

Best,
Brian