[ModLib] Random House Vintage Books with ML style buckram bindings

J B Krygier jbkrygier at owu.edu
Sun Apr 25 18:16:24 EDT 2010

On Apr 25, 2010, at 6:01 PM, Eric Hanson wrote:

> This may be somewhat off topic, but someone here may know. I
> recently picked up a Random House, Vintage Books edition, in a
> buckram binding which is almost identical to that used for the
> Modern Library. Here’s a photo of the book, with a Modern Library
> buckram for comparison:  https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B4HE6nGKR3uPNGZkM2JjZmItYmYzNy00MDc5LTlkMDAtZWU4MTk0NjJiZWVk&hl=en
>
> Is there any information available about this series and its buckram
> bindings?  Google comes up with very little - only an Abe Books
> listing for a different title.
>
> My immediate questions are:
>
> -- How many different buckram bound titles are there in this series
> (my copy has V-135 on the spine)?
>
> -- Is there any sort of reference or guide for this series?

All I can offer here is that there were a dozen or so of these Vintage
buckrams in the same local bookstore I found a dozen or so ML buckrams
a few years back. All were non-ML titles, but yes the binding was just
about identical to the ML buckrams. As far as the bookstore owner
remembered,
these were part of a lot of discount books picked up at one of the local
university bookstores sometime in the 1970s. That might suggest they
were
sold along with the ML buckrams.

John K.