[ModLib] Fw: Solzhenitsyn's 'Cancer Ward'

Gordon B. Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Tue Apr 20 23:25:22 EDT 2010

I don't have the original Farrar, Straus edition of Cancer Ward in front of me, but the library's cataloging record for it which I just checked online indicates its pagination is xiv, 560. The printed pagination of the ML edition is vii, 536. (The ML edition is printed from offset lithographic plates made from the Farrar, Straus typesetting, possibly photographically reduced.) The 3-page biographical note about Solzhenitsyn is original to the ML edition. The omission of the two letters in the preliminaries and the five documents in the Appendix add up to 30 pages of the Farrar, Straus edition that were omitted from the ML reprint. This could have been a blunder on somebody's part, but cutting the book by 30 pages would have reduced costs enough to be tempting. Someone may have figured that the appendices weren't important and that nobody would notice their absence. If the ML omitted these pages deliberately, it was pretty stupid to leave references to them in the table of contents. My conclusion is that the ML edition is a testament to stupidity or avarice on the part of the publisher -- or possibly both.