[ModLib] QUESTION

Scot Kamins kamins at modernlib.com
Mon May 25 17:09:16 EDT 2009

On May 25, 2009, at 2:02 PM, JOSEPH HILL wrote:

> Does anyone know the name of the bearded gentleman on the first
> printing of the 1996 Selected Writings of Ralph Waldo Emerson?

 From the Archives:

ModLib Archive Messages containing "Ralph Waldo Emerson"

  	1 Message found:

Subject: Re: Whose photo is the "Wrong" Emerson?
From: j b krygier <jbkrygie at removed>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 13:53:45 -0500

It has to be the Massachusetts-area Reverend Ralph Emerson
(1787-1863), who was sort of a contemporary of Ralph Waldo Emerson
(1803-1882).

He has a dozen or so sermons and other religious publications that
show up in the OhioLink database I have access to, including jems like
this:

"Faith, the guide and support of the believer. A sermon, delivered at
Norfolk, September 30, 1829, at the funeral of Mrs. Elizabeth Robbins,
relict of Rev. Ammi Robbins," by Ralph Emerson, P. Canfield. 1829.

I found several sites on the WWW which mistakenly append his dates to
Ralph Waldo Emerson, so others, besides the ML, have mixed these two
chaps up.

Scot Kamins
kamins at modernlib.com