[ModLib] Should Ibsen's Eleven Plays have a second Toledano number?

Scot Kamins kamins at modernlib.com
Fri Jan 23 15:48:39 EST 2009

Folks,

I note with interest that by common agreement we have three Tole
numbers for Best Russian Short Stories:

Toledano number:   018.1 (missing Andreyev short story)
                                    018.2 (not in Toledano: Andreyev
added; broken pagination)
                                    018.3 (not in Toledano: Continuous
pagination)

Note that two of the numbers have to do with pagination.

Yet there is just one Tole number for  Ibsen's Eleven Plays, G18.1
(and that's not a type -- coincidentally, the tole number for both is
18).  From Booknotes for that title:

This giant was printed from the plates of all three Ibsen volumes
existing in the regular Modern Library series at the time, adding Peer
Gynt. It was originally printed using the pagination of the original
plates -- 3 to 305, 8 to 330, and 3 to 482. Sometime in the mid 1940s
the book was reset with a single pagination sequence ending at 1185.

For consistency's sake, and because many people would consider them to
be separate collectibles, should there be added a second number for
this title to account for the repagination?

Scot Kamins
kamins at modernlib.com