[ModLib] Jacket Date Range; Auden; and discussion of design

Darrell Johnson zebradlj at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 12 12:59:23 EST 2009

MLer’s,

I will now show you what I’ve started on Auden; “Selected Poetry.”  It will have difficulties no matter what we do.

qryJacketDesignDescriptions

Short Author

Short Title

Short Style

Short Date

Letter

Jacket Description

Auden

Selected Poetry

Reg

59-70

Typographical: Yellow/White/Blue block background.

Auden

Selected Poetry

Reg

70-70

Added ML logo to lower front.

These are both “A” jackets because they are also on different editions: note the date ranges (the second of which may need to be extended to 70-71 or 70-72 now.)

qryJacketDatingQuery

Short Author

Short Title

Short Style

Short Date

Letter

Earliest?

Latest?

Regular List Date

S/F R

Giant List Date

S/F G

In Book Dated to

Verifier L

Auden

Selected Poetry

Reg

59-70

No

Yes

Fall 1965 Giants list. Jacket blank; t11.

Darrell Johnson

Auden

Selected Poetry

Reg

59-70

Yes

No

1959

1959

n/a

Web Site + Assumed on First.

Auden

Selected Poetry

Reg

70-70

Yes

Yes

No list. 1971 or 1972.

Web Site.

I have not requested input on Auden yet, so I only have my copy and the web site photos.  But the trouble displayed will likely remain.  On my copy I put in no dates on the jacket lists because the jacket is blank and would be expected to be blank from about this time onward.  The book dated to 1965 by a Giants list though. I do not want to place a date in the jacket date columns because that implies it had a jacket list.  The database will sort by date in the jacket column, and I want it to be able to do that when there are numerous entries.  And if I “fudged” 1965 into the jacket date columns I end up with a “false” list of JACKET dates.  I want this list to be accurate (and some day to represent a complete list of all dated possible jacket list dates).

So, I have the same issue on the second edition jacket posted to the web site.  (My 70-70 date on the second edition is from Henry’s guide). Whoever supplied the jacket scan to Scot determined by some means that it was either 1971 or 1972.  But that is not by jacket lists – since they are long gone by then.  So the only place to put any dating is under the book date column with the indication of uncertainty. And this is likely to never be able to change.  We may never have CERTAIN dates on this second edition because jacket liast are gone and they seem to randomly put older book lists in these later editions when they had any list in the book at all.  I'm guessing the contributor of the scan went by jacket price?  Does anyone know?

So: Any comments about handling the uncertainties?

Note: When we get to Auden, the request for information will look identical to the above two tables.  I will list that as what we currently know and ask people to contribute additional confirmed dates.

Note.  I went into Scot’s site to look at the two Auden jackets.  I went in by using the search utility that he a Ron Holl created and Scot just pointed out in his recent post. It worked wonderfully.

Darrell