[ModLib] Jacket Range Project: Adams; "Education," & Discussion of design.

Darrell Johnson zebradlj at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 12 12:14:41 EST 2009

MLer’s,

I’ve only had Brian LeMasters actually send me any information for the jacket dating project so far. But since we have had discussions about what to include about uncertainties and how to organize the information, I am going to give my first “report” on the information obtained.  I am doing this because I will use this format to ask for the information in the future, and I will take the opportunity to explain what I’ve set up so we can all comment before things get rolling along.

qryJacketDesignDescriptions

Short Author

Short Title

Short Style

Short Date

Letter

Jacket Description

Adams, H.

Education

Reg

31-70

Typographical; on balloon cloth editions.

Adams, H.

Education

Reg

31-70

Pictorial; on Hardback editions. No background behind Adam's portrait; No "With an Introduction by James Truslow Adams."

Adams, H.

Education

Reg

31-70

Pictorial; Added a background behind Adam's portrait; Added "With an Introduction by James Truslow Adams."

Adams, H.

Education

Reg

31-70

Pictorial; like previous; Added an ML logo to lower left corner.

qryJacketDatingQuery

Short Author

Short Title

Short Style

Short Date

Letter

Earliest?

Latest?

Regular List Date

S/F R

Giant List Date

S/F G

In Book Dated to

Verifier L

Adams, H.

Education

Reg

31-70

Yes

No

1931

1931

n/a

Assumed on first printing.

Adams, H.

Education

Reg

31-70

No

Yes

1936

1936

No list; t7

Darrell Johnson

Adams, H.

Education

Reg

31-70

Yes

No

1955

1955

n/a; t8.

Web Site

Adams, H.

Education

Reg

31-70

No

Yes

1959

1959

S/F 1941 mixed; t8

Darrell Johnson

Adams, H.

Education

Reg

31-70

Yes

No

1957

1957

No list; t8.

Brian Lemasters

Adams, H.

Education

Reg

31-70

No

Yes

1963

1963

n/a; t?.

Web Site

Adams, H.

Education

Reg

31-70

Yes

Yes

1969

1969

No list

Web Site

The First table has four jacket descriptions for Adam’s “Education of Henry Adams.”  The second table lists what the group as a whole knows – so far- about those four jackets.  The first entry in the second table is an “A" Jacket and is marked as the earliest know, but in the Verifier column notice that I have merely ASSUMED that it is on the first printings.  Much of what is known so far is from the web site and that info is limited with respect to filling out a line on this table.  Although the "A" jacket MUST be on the first printing, I would like someone with a first to actually verify it.  And when they do, it would be nice to firm up the five columns in between.  Currently those columns indicate that the jacket has a 1931 Regulars list but unknown as to whether it is Spring or Fall and a 1931 Giants list unkown as the whether it is Spring or Fall. And since the web site only show the photo and the book is not there, we can’t
 check to see if the book has a list in the back that would date the book. So someone with a first: verify the jacket list by both Regular and Giant lists and check to see if the book can be dated by either or both as well and verify t7 binding, PLEASE.

It would be nice if this first line became like the second line:  This one has both 1936 S Regulars list and a 1936 Spring Giants list.  Unfortunately my copy does not have a list in the book itself, so the book is undatable apart from the jacket. But notice that I have indicated that the book is a Toledano 7 binding.

Look at Brian’s contribution (3rd from bottom) It’s a C jacket; it the earliest one known so far; its not the latest one; he dated the jacket lists to Spring 1957 by both Regulars list and Giants list; he reported that the book had no list; I inferred  that a 1957 is a t8 binding; and I immortalized his name as the Verifier.  [Get yourself immortalized as well].

Look at the one above Brian’s.  I have a copy that displays some of the difficulties of doing this carefully.  The jacket lists to Fall 1959 by both the Regulars list and the Giants list.  But the book and jacket are mismatched since the book dates to 1941.  And the book’s list is Spring 1941 for Regulars and Fall 1941 for Giants (or perhaps vise-versa, I would have to double check).  And this is not a rare occurrence.  I have several jackets and books with “split” lists.  So watch this carefully as you participate in the project.

POINT OF INTEREST.  I have a B jacket that dates to 1959 while Brian has a  C jacket that dates to 1957.  We already have evidence that jacket designs overlapped in their use!

I will post one more Author/Title for now so that we have something to start a discussion with as to whether we want me to modify anything before things get rolling. I will pick one in which I dealt with more of the uncertainty issues we have already expressed concern about.

Darrell