[ModLib] Dust Jacket Date Range Project: Can We Deduce Unobserved Dates?

Ron Holl modlib at windstream.net
Thu Jan 8 12:08:33 EST 2009

This is getting into a different topic/project: Actual last printing dates.

In your example, 1955 is given (in the guide) as the end date for LW most likely because that is when New Voices in the American Theatre took over the number (258).  Given the Fall 1955 jacket on the first of NVitAT, it is unlikely that LW could have had a printing in 1955F.

What I see as the DJ Dating project is, for each published range for a title, determine when each jacket was 'in print'.  So, for LW 1950 - 1955 is sufficient (as long as a new jacket doesn't surface).

An add on project (which would make use of the data collected in the DJ project) could be the last print date for each title.  So, perhaps LW would be determined to be 1953S; or 1951F.

There are a number of titles in the guide that had one printing, yet have a range of years.  Those are easy.  Start and End date are the same.

Yet another project could be to collect all jacket dates (where possible), to try and determine how many seasons had a printing for any given title.

And while folks have the jackets off, log the color of the binding.  While it may be completely random, what if some pattern showed up?  And, of course, check the binding table at modernlib.com to make sure we have that binding logged for that title.