[ModLib] Dust Jacket Date Range Project -- Why So Little Participation?

Michael Watson archetype at 20ants.com
Wed Jan 7 20:16:03 EST 2009

Scot,

Yes, the approximately equal to sign shows up.

-Michael

on 1/7/2009 7:47 PM Scot Kamins said the following:

> On Jan 7, 2009, at 3:46 PM, Ron Holl wrote:
>
>> Perhaps it would help if there was a table(s) on the website showing
>> each title, and the known DJ end points.  Question marks, or some such
>> marker, indicate end points that are known to be likely/possibly
>> incorrect; this fact is also noted by a gap in years.  For example,
>>
>> Tale of Two Cities
>>
>> 1935 - 1939
>> 1940 - 1953?
>> 1958? - 1970
>
> Well, that's an interesting idea that would work in a number of (but not
> all) cases. I like the question mark idea too -- I was going to use the
> math symbol for "approximately" (two horizontally parallel wavy lines
> which on my Mac is this character: ≈
>
> So the range might be 1940 - ≈1953  (Does that show up on a PC?)
>>

>> Then, if someone has that plain text jacket in a 1954 dj, they use the
>> form submission on that page to indicate so.  Ideally it would update
>> the database immediately;
>
> That WOULD be ideal. Of course, it would call for taking the entire
> author/title info -- currently in plain old typed text -- into a
> database of some sort. This would be a massive undertaking, and would
> call for someone with extraordinary planning & programming skills to
> (1) automate the process of transferring the data into the new data
> format(s);  (2) create the forms; and (3) set up the automation for the
> updates.  I do not have such skills.
>

> Scot Kamins

  Michael Watson, bookman                           Indianapolis IN USA
  archetype at 20ants.com       www.20ants.com        (317)514-3829
  Fine press, limiteds & unusual non-fiction. Appraisal & cataloging
  Traditional courtesies to the trade. Always seeking better books.
  Member IOBA: Independent Online Booksellers Association
  www.ioba.org
  Offering a safe, secure bookbuying experience at
  www.iobabooks.com/browse_books.php?id=47132

Recession is when you neighbor loses his job.
Depression is when you lose yours.
- Ronald Reagan

Turn it up and it doesn't need any reverb.
- Danny Gatton