[ModLib] Dust Jacket Date Range Project -- Why So Little Participation?

Scot Kamins kamins at modernlib.com
Wed Jan 7 19:47:37 EST 2009

On Jan 7, 2009, at 3:46 PM, Ron Holl wrote:

> Perhaps it would help if there was a table(s) on the website showing
> each title, and the known DJ end points.  Question marks, or some
> such marker, indicate end points that are known to be likely/
> possibly incorrect; this fact is also noted by a gap in years.  For
> example,
>
> Tale of Two Cities
>
> 1935 - 1939
> 1940 - 1953?
> 1958? - 1970

Well, that's an interesting idea that would work in a number of (but
not all) cases. I like the question mark idea too -- I was going to
use the math symbol for "approximately" (two horizontally parallel
wavy lines which on my Mac is this character: ≈

So the range might be 1940 - ≈1953  (Does that show up on a PC?)

> Then, if someone has that plain text jacket in a 1954 dj, they use
> the form submission on that page to indicate so.  Ideally it would
> update the database immediately;

That WOULD be ideal. Of course, it would call for taking the entire
author/title info -- currently in plain old typed text -- into a
database of some sort. This would be a massive undertaking, and would
call for someone with extraordinary planning & programming skills to
(1) automate the process of transferring the data into the new data
format(s);  (2) create the forms; and (3) set up the automation for
the updates.  I do not have such skills.

Scot Kamins
Over 50? Thousands of discounts for you
at http://www.SeasonedSpender.com