[ModLib] Dust Jacket Date Range Project: Can We Deduce Unobserved Dates?

Scot Kamins kamins at modernlib.com
Wed Jan 7 15:38:03 EST 2009

On Jan 7, 2009, at 12:11 PM, Larry Turner wrote:

> I think those kind of assumptions give us a better place to start.
> They provide more granularity in the data/dates for us to test.
> Good idea, Mr Kamins.  Moral certitude it shall be!

Well, if we can trust the assumptions. :-)

So let's extend this into some rules we can follow:

What of the Fujita ML logo on the front of dust jackets? Since they
appeared in 1969 and since there's no other way to date DJs of the
late 60's because the catalogs on the reverse of the DJs disappeared
or were unreliable, can we assume the date range of such a jacket is
1969 - [out of print]? For example, see Selected Short Stories of
William Faulkner [http://www.modernlib.com/authors/fAuthors/faulknerJackets.html#324.1
] currently dated as 1970 -- can this be dated as 1969 - 1974 (since
the title seems to have lasted that long in print -- longer, in fact,
but ModernLib stops in 1974)?

What other rules can I/we employ that don't require strict evidence of
copies actually seen?

Scot Kamins
Over 50? Thousands of discounts for you
at http://www.SeasonedSpender.com