[ModLib] Dust Jacket Date Range Project: Can We Deduce Unobserved Dates?

Scot Kamins scot.kamins at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 14:48:08 EST 2009

Folks,

I'm wondering if we can deduce certain dates with, if not metaphysical
certitude,  moral certitude? [:: Ah, the sound of google searches ... ]

For example, Little Women (http://www.modernlib.com/authors/aAuthors/alcottJackets.html
) was in print 1950 - 1955. There were at least two printings of the
book, but no one has ever reported seeing a second version of the dust
jacket. Surely a second version would have appeared by now. So is it
then safe to assume that the dates of the dust jacket shown on the ML
page can be listed as 1950 - 1955? I assume so, so I have marked it as
such.

Gatsby we know about from previously reported research: the first DJ
without the Discontinued stamp was in use 1934 - 1939 (Spring), with
the stamp only appearing on the Fall 1939 DJ. (http://www.modernlib.com/authors/fAuthors/FitzgeraldJackets.html
)

Others are a bit edgier. For example, the (assumed) first DJ for The
Education of Henry Adams appeared  in 1931 and I'm guessing lasted
through 1938; 1939 would be the logical year for the transition to the
new DJ along with the transition from Balloon cloth to Blumenthal
bindings. I assume the DJ shown at ModernLib and labeled 1936 is the
first DJ since Education is a very common title and I assume that if
there were an older DJ it would have been reported by now. So can I
date thecurrent 1936 image as 1931 - 1938? (No such conclusion can be
drawn for the 1955 and 1963 images, and the 1970 image might have
started in 1969 and may have lasted to 1974).

What do you think?