[ModLib] ML Jude the Obscure early 40s jackets

Gordon B. Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Tue Aug 25 08:56:00 EDT 2009

As shown on the website, the Galdone wood engraving in the 1938 jacket for Hardy's Jude the Obscure (balloon cloth binding) has the same orange-yellow background as the rest of the jacket, while the wood engraving in the larger 1956 jacket (Blumenthal binding) has a white background.

I assume the change was made when the jacket was enlarged for the Blumenthal binding, but the earliest copy I've seen with the white background is fall 1945. The earliest copy of the Blumenthal binding I've seen, based on the list of titles at the end, is spring 1942 -- but alas it didn't have a jacket. Can anyone confirm whether jackets before 1945 have the wood engraving with the white background?

Many thanks,
Gordon B. Neavill
Associate Professor
Wayne State University