[ModLib] Lord Jim Mystery

John Wolansky jwol at fast.net
Sun Apr 5 21:23:50 EDT 2009

My 1st Lord Jim is slightly oversized with a matching DJ, too.  I have a
number of other volumes slightly larger than normal for the ‘30’s ML’s,
including:

8.2 Dreiser’s Sister Carrie from 1937

68.3 Lawrence Women in Love from 1938

88.3 Dos Passos 42nd from 1937 (no dj)

191.2 Edmonds Rome Haul from 1938

And, you are aware of the two 1939 Blumenthal sized balloon cloth books like
54.3, Dinesen’s Seven Gothic Tales and 11.3, Stone’s Lust for Life, both
from 1939.

Looks like the two 1939 books were leading into Blumenthal sized bindings.
Who can say why the blip in sizes in 1937 and 1938.

I have another slight anomaly I attribute to production error.  Two copies
of 8.1, De Maupassant’s Mademoiselle Fifi, one with catalog 1 is slightly
oversized, nearly 1/8”, and the other, with catalog 5, is nearly 1/8”
shorter!  I presumed the covers were simply miss cut.  The taller copy does
have slightly taller pages, though, while the undersized copy has regular
sized.

I have a copy or two in the Everyman’s Library series where the jacket had
an unusual amount of creasing along the top edge.  When I unfolded the
creases on the 1920’s dj’s, I discovered they were taller than the normal
book size by nearly ¼”.  Again, I thought production errors.

John Wolansky