[ModLib] Lord Jim Mystery

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sun Apr 5 21:19:45 EDT 2009

The spring 1931 first printing of Lord Jim is larger than the standard size of the balloon cloth bindings. The ML was printing from Doubleday plates previously used for the Sun Dial Library and other Doubleday editions of Conrad and enlarged the size of the volume so the margins wouldn't be razor thin. The binding is 6-7/8 x 4-5/8 inches. The Kent endpapers, designed for the smaller standard size of ML books, have white borders at the left and right edges of the endpaper. I don't have a later balloon cloth printing to compare with the first, but I suspect the ML decided it was easier (and cheaper) to revert to the standard format -- with the result is that the fall 1931 jacket doesn't fit the first printing.

Barry