[ModLib] ML appearing in other media

Ron Thoman rgthoman at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 1 13:09:17 EDT 2009

>From time to time we've shared information on the appearance of Modern Library in films and other media.  Maybe the following has already been shared, but just in case it wasn't, I thought some of you might find this of interest:

I just picked up a copy of Cleanth Brooks' book of criticism/interpretation WILLIAM FAULKNER: FIRST ENCOUNTER, Yale University Press, 1983.  On the front cover of the dust jacket is a photograph of Faulkner paging through a (ML?) book standing in front of at least four shelves of exclusively Modern Library books, all in dust jackets and in numerical order.  Clearly the photograph captures only a part of the shelving containing the many more volumes.  The top two shelves in the picture are all standard size MLs, and the bottom two shelves are all Giants.  The photo is copyrighted 1956, so the books have to date from then back.  From the appearance of the dust jackets they all look to be post-1939.

Who's shelves/books could these be?  The photo is copyrighted by Phyllis Cerf Wagner.  Could this be Bennet Cerf's daughter or other relative and the photo taken at Random House, which was Faulkner's publisher?  Does anyone know if Random House had and displayed shelves of all the Modern Library books?

Ron Thoman