[ModLib] Can anyone date this Ulysses DJ?

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sun Oct 26 09:35:32 EDT 2008

The binding is Henry's G7 but not cloth -- the covering material is deep blue paper, blind stamped to simulate cloth,  with the torchbearer and lettering on the spine and the "ml" symbol on the front panel stamped in silver. The book is sewn, but as indicated it's printed on very cheap paper.

The jacket differs from the one attributed to 1967 in several respects. In addition to the addition of the statement about marginal numbers added to the front panel, the front flap text is reset in smaller type and a third paragraph has been added:

"Because of the many scholarly notes which refer to the 1934, first American edition, this edition of Ulysses indicates in the margins the page numbers of that edition; these are placed next to the line which contains the last word of the old page. Page numbers in this edition appear in brackets at the bottom of the page."

The jacket spine is identical to the 1967 jacket, including the number G52. The torchbearer of both jackets differs from that illustrated in Henry's guide for 67/70 -- it's the one with the flare trailing all the way past the torchbearer's head.

The back panel is still Henry's Gi, but an ISBN has been added in the lower right corner inside the frame, the frame is enlarged and closer to the edge of the jacket, and the list of titles on the back panel is different those on the 1967 jacket (many of the earlier titles had been discontinued).

As I mentioned, my copy of the jacket has has the price $5.95 printed on the front flap. This price went into effect for Giants in 1975, hence my dating of the jacket. If anyone has a  jacket with the reference to marginal page numbers and a $4.95 price an earlier date should be assigned. The list of titles on the back panel is different from my copy of the earlier version of the jacket, reflecting the large number of ML titles discontinued after 1970.

Several of the titles listed on my copy of the jacket with the $5.95 price had been discontinued between 1971 and 1974. It's  probably a boilerplate list that was used for various titles and printings without scrupulous revision -- the retail price is likely to be a more reliable indicator of the date!

Interestingly, the majority of the listed titles on the back panel that were out of the ML by 1975 weren't published originally by Random House or its divisions such as Knopf. Royalties for reprint editions were divided between the original publisher and the author. When Knopf was an independent firm, royalties it received for ML reprints of Thomas Mann were split with the author. When Knopf became part of Random House, Knopf authors continued to receive the share of the royalties due them, but the other half stayed within Random House as a whole. So the incentive to discontinue titles originally published outside the RH family was greater than for those published by RH, Knopf, Pantheon and other publishers that were part of Random House as a whole.

Barry