[ModLib] Color Variations -- Key to Anything???

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sat Oct 18 17:23:29 EDT 2008

The ML probably thought that the more vivid colors on the later jackets would generate more sales. I'd be surprised if this strategy was notably successful. It wasn't related to any meaningful change at Random House, nor to anything is trifling as a good buy on a different color ink -- if that had been the case we'd have many more color variations than we do now!

In looking at the Russell jackets on the website I noted the original 1927 jacket and the reset version the following year. The 1927 jacket has a typo -- it omits the opening quotation mark around "Why Men Fight." The later jacket has been reset and includes the opening quotation mark -- probably the reason for the change.

Barry