[ModLib] References to MLs in reading and reading MLs

Brian LeMasters brianlemasters at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 16:23:23 EDT 2008

Greetings to all.  Welcome, Rob.  My interest in MLs runs close to yours.
I am reading /A Passion for Books: /..Stories, Essays, Humor, etc.  An
excerpt from Robertson Davies on Book Collecting refers to the
"snobbbery" of book collecting.  He comments that upon seeing the
pristine copy of an acquaintance's book of which this collector of
minutia was so obsessed, he wanted to say how much he enjoyed reading
his tattered Modern Library edition every year.  I admit paying upwards
of $35 apiece for some titles that I just could not live without
(limiting the size of my collection, also).  I still have not fully
defined the desire within myself to buy MLs... I go for value in most of
my other purchases.  I think that I am just awed with the amount of
minutia surrounding MLs, not to mention the touch and smell.

I have seen copies of Book Row on ebay. It has been on my reading list
for awhile.

Brian