[ModLib] Greetings from a new member

robert e. watling jr. rewatlingjr at comcast.net
Tue Oct 7 15:14:39 EDT 2008

Hi Scott et al,
My name is Robert Watling, Rob to you. I live in Portland, Oregon so I'm a
new neighbor to Scott. I've collected and read Modern Library books for
some years. I lost most of my collection in a divorce a year ago, keeping
my reading copy of Varieties of Religious Experience and The Wisdom of Lao
Tse out of a collection of about 100 or so. Modest I admit, but I'd read
most of them. I collect titles that interest me. I don't care much about
the details, I'll pick one up regardless of condition, just because I
don't have it. I look on ebay but prefer the hunt, old bookstores, thrift
stores, goodwills, yard sales. I love scanning the shelves and the thrill
of seeing that familiar spine or dust jacket. I've gotten many for nothing
 from friends who know I like them and the most I've paid it ten bucks for
The Wisdom of China and India, giant edition, at a bookstore here in
Portland. Lately I've been using the Portland Library, Multnoma County
Library to be precise, mainly because the economy is keeping me out of
stores. I've been reading a book called Book Row, not ML, but an
interesting account of the collection of antiquarian bookstores centered
around 4th avenue in New York around the turn of the last century. I can
smell the places now. The ML tie-in here is the passage in which
bookseller David Kirschenbaum was interviewed. "He remembered Albert Boni
as a "remarkable man" whom he had known since 1911 and who "had a place on
Eighth Street, number forty-five." This was the same Boni who switched
 from selling to publishing and, in partnership with Horace Liveright as
Boni & Liveright, inaugurated the Modern Library of the Worlds Best Books
reprint series that has introduced countless readers to the masterworks of
literature." It was that book and that passage that rekindled my interest
in ML books and led me to this group. I look forward to meeting others
here, though Scott tells me the group has been quiet for awhile. Maybe you
have just been waiting for new blood, although I thing the dust of old
books flows through my veins...rob.

--
If you understand, things are just as they are;

If you do not understand, things are just as they are.

       Zen Proverb