[ModLib] Tell Me More

J B Krygier jbkrygier at owu.edu
Fri Nov 14 16:51:56 EST 2008

On Nov 14, 2008, at 2:45 AM, robert e. watling jr. wrote:

> One of the great joys of collecting old books, especially ML's, is
> finding little pieces of ephemera in them.

Recently, a fresh, new, 2$ bill in a buckram ML (not x-library!) found
at a local Half Price Books. A newspaper clipping "Final Meeting Held
in Mrs Martin Bankruptcy" (between 372-3 of a flex copy of Return of
the Native).  Also, A mystery list, in pencil, on a slip of paper
(between p. 18-19 of a flexi Maurice Guest); maybe olde songs?

10) Practice Makes Perfect
9) --
8) You Walked By
7) The Same old Story
6) Perfida
5) I hear a Rhapsody
4) So You're the One
3) I Give You My Word
2) ?? [unreadable]
1) There I Go

The best is a note, sealed in an envelope with "Pet" written in spidery
hand, with a fountain pen, in a early 1930s Everyman's Library book.  I
have yet to open the envelope and read the note (I can see the note has
writing on it thru the envelope).

Maybe Geraldo will be interested in a Live on TV opening of the
envelope.

More info on this topic:

http://www.metafilter.com/61017/things-found-in-books
http://www.johncoulthart.com/feuilleton/2007/09/09/strange-cargo-things-found-in-books/

...and the magazine "Found" & their blog of found items:

http://foundmagazine.com/
http://whatsup.foundmagazine.com/

john k.