[ModLib] Tell Me More

Bill DiBenedetto billdi at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 12 20:01:18 EST 2008

A wonderful thread that I wanted to keep alive with the yin and the yang of
ML collecting.

- On the yin (or is it yang?) side: I was in a used bookstore in Seattle
several years back and found a nice edition of Hammett's Maltese Falcon
(45), nice condition, no dj, but it was a volume I had been looking for. For
some inexplicable reason I placed it back on the shelf, meaning to pick it
up after browsing through the rest of the store. When I returned about five
minutes later the prize object was gone. To this day it's a mystery (tho
hardly worthy of Hammett's league to be sure): why did it I put it back on
the shelf? And where did it go?
I did eventually find a beautiful copy with a VG DJ so the quest turned out
ok but I still wonder about that day.

- On the yang (or is it yin?) side: I was in an antique store in Bozeman, MT
and came upon a nice, clean copy of The Short Stories of Henry James, (11.3
FMLGEd). Again no DJ but only $5.00.
A nice pickup but here is what made it extra special -- Tucked inside was a
small Northern Pacific Railway menu card, circa August, 1950.  A neat piece
of history and Americana, probably used as a bookmark on some long ago
journey on a long forgotten rail line in the year of my birth. 1950 is also
a focus of my ML collecting.
I have to smile whenever I see this one on the shelf, which is frequently.
I've attached pictures I took of the front and back of the menu; I hope you
can see and enjoy them.

bill
206-491-0296 (work)
206-963-0499 (personal)